|About The Website
The photo in our banner is of College Park Tower.
The tower was constructed in 1927 and named for the San Jose neighborhood it was located in. It's purpose was to control the east entrance to Newhall Street Yard (San Jose Yard) and to San Jose's original classification yard, College Park Yard. The tower was closed in 1995 when CalTrain bought the 48 mile commuter route from the SP.
The fate of tower was sealed by fire in March of 1996, thought started by the homeless taking shelter from cold nights in the now abandoned structure. Luckily, a few pieces of hardware, including the accordion telegrapher's telephone, had previously been removed and donated to the Southbay Railroad Historical Society (SBHRS), the same group responsible for restoring the CalTrain depot.
Those items, along with artifacts donated from the San Jose Telegraph office once located at Diridon Station can be seen inside the Santa Clara CalTrain depot. For more information on College Park Tower see online version of San Jose Sentinals, by Ken Rattenne.